Open Value Network (OVN) is an approach to commons-based peer production. It allows individuals and organizations to
- co-create and aggregate value through lateral and large scale coordination, cooperation and collaboration
- to serve as a responsible steward of commonly held wealth and assets
- to account for various inputs and outcomes in a common ledger system
- distribute value equitably and intentionally within and beyond the network
- and to share returns amongst contributors, in proportion to their contributions.
The open value network model relies on p2p principles of co-production, self-organization, and stewardship of commons.
- peer production - the collaborative production of surplus value by means of common and contributed assets;
- peer governance - direction and accountability by the community of producers themselves, not by market allocation or corporate hierarchy;
- peer property - the use-value of property is accessible on a collective trust basis through new modes of ownership which are not exclusive, while recognizing individual authorship or title where appropriate.
An OVN is a general model that can be implemented under different forms, adapted to specific contexts.
Allow everyone to join and create value together in an open environment, enable mass-customization that will have a higher value than mass-production. (Economies of scope vs. economies of scale)
equipotentiality, anti-credentialism, self-selection, communal validation, and holoptism
The model was first proposed, developed and implemented by SENSORICA affiliates. SENSORICA was created in February 2011. Initially, the model evolved from the Discovery Network model proposed by Tibi in 2009-2010. Between 2011 and 2012, the model was developed in collabaration by Tibi, Steve, Kurt, Bayle and others, and drew from the work of Verna Allee, Yochai Benkler, Michel Bauwens, Clay Shirky, and others. After the summer of 2012, the value accounting and distributed resource management system was influenced by Bob Haugen who has been working in this area since 1995. Other organizations adopted the OVN model, like metamaps.cc.
From May 2013 to May 2014, Yasir worked on a framework for open value network in collaboration with other SENSORICA affiliates. The OVN model was extended to network of networks, in the context of the Open Alliance, which is a network-of-networks around SENSORICA.
See more on OVN history (still in development).
The SENSORICA initiative will support Canada playing a lead role in international standards development on OVN. In this context, it should be noted that the OVN work will input directly into international ISO standards development, namely, ISO/IEC 15944-15 "Information technology - Business Operational View - Part 15: Ope Value Networks(OVN): Integrated perspective on Open-edi, eBusiness, blockchain and distributed transactions". The lead international ISO Project Editor : Prof. William McCarthy, with Jake Knoppers as one of two Co-Project Editors. The international ISO standards committee responsible here is ISO/IEC JTC1/SC32/WG1 (where JTC1 = Joint ISO, IEC = Technical Committee on Information technology, SC = Data Management & Interchange, WG1 = eBusiness)
Examples of open value networks
Go to OVN.space
- iAGRI innovation portfolio
- Greener Acres
- Metamaps see their documents
- Guerilla Translation!
- Kendra Initiative building OVN for media
- Category:Temporal issues
- Category:Value exchange
- Category:Customer service
- Category:Value Accounting System (VAS)